15 August 2009

Iitala Kartio Glassware



I recently discovered iitala's Kartio glasses and pitcher. To say I discovered them is silly - they were designed in the late 1950's and have been around ever since. I've wanted these drinking glasses for a while, and they're not terribly expensive, but since I had plenty of generic, works-fine-but-not-inspiring clear drinking glasses from places like IKEA and Crate & Barrel, I never got them. Moving to a 557.5 square foot miniature house with the help of professional movers who charge by the hour seemed a good reason to give a dozen old drinking glasses away before the move and purchase six iitala glasses instead and have them shipped to my new place. Okay, I also got the set of 4 mixed color small glasses (good for juice, cocktails, a small serving of ice cream or yogurt) and a carafe/pitcher in "blueberry blue", a discontinued color. These glasses are a dream to hold, and the glass is so beautiful and so clear. It's amazing how different a drinking glass can be... apparently designer Kaj Franck was obsessed with this simple object - the drinking glass!

No comments: