11 October 2008

Playing with Knives and Running with Scissors



There are three tools about which I am passionate-- pens, knives and scissors. You need good ones many times in a single day, especially if you cook, or even if you just cut a sandwich in half sometimes (that's the knife part, not the pen!)

I have a pair of really good knives. One is a slightly smaller version of the other. The make is Henckles. They were a gift from my mother, but I don't think good knives are necessarily so expensive that most people couldn't buy one for themselves. They came with a sharpener, and I sharpen them before each use. They're so much fun to use. I cut things into paper thin slices all the time just because I can, and they cut through tough stuff like pineapple rind like it's butter. But yesterday I did a work event where we were preparing food, and cutting lemons with knives my coworker brought to the event was like torture. I felt like I was cutting through my leg with a butter knife. Her knives kept winging off in all directions, turning my lemon slices into bits of lemon splooge. I hated this task so much that I came home and told my knives how much I love them and how I'll never take them for granted again. They told me that they want to have a baby, and I agreed that's a fantastic idea!

No comments: