22 September 2008

Lars and the (RealDoll) Real Girl

How I never saw this movie when it first came out is beyond me, considering my fascination with RealDoll. I finally saw this movie last night--it's about a guy (Lars) whose mother died apparently while giving birth to him and whose father was emotionally shut down after that, leaving Lars sort of shut down and introverted. One day at work (it's not clear what he does, but he has a "cubicle" job) Lars' coworker shows him the website of RealDoll, saying how much he'd love to have one. Lars doesn't seem particularly interested, but he ends up getting one and naming her Bianca. At first, his brother and sister in law are freaked out, but eventually the entire community comes to accept Bianca. It's zany and sweet! And even though Bianca is a RealDoll, there's nothing particularly sexual about the film at all, which makes it even more unpredicatble and interesting.

Lars and the Real Girl website

3 comments:

Coffee said...

I completely agree! Well said!

Stacy Leigh said...

I am so happy to see another female who thinks Realdolls have so much more potential than just a sex doll!!

You are kind!

:)
Stacy Leigh
(Realdoll Photographer)

Anonymous said...

I still haven't seen this film (even though I run a site featuring RealDolls in various situations. Now I'm convinced I need to see it.